Getting your first job on Upwork starts with writing a strong proposal. Many beginners apply to dozens of jobs but still do not get replies because their proposals are too generic or unclear.
In this guide, you will learn how to send proposal on Upwork step by step. You will also see an Upwork proposal sample, real examples of Upwork proposal writing, and tips to help you win more jobs.
Summary:
Learn how to send proposal on Upwork with this beginner-friendly guide. This article explains how to write a winning Upwork proposal, submit job applications step by step, and improve your chances of getting hired. It also includes an Upwork job proposal sample, examples of Upwork proposals, expert tips, common mistakes to avoid, and best practices for freelancers in 2026.
Why Your Upwork Proposal Matters
Clients usually receive many applications for one job. They often read only the first few lines before deciding whether to continue reading.
A strong proposal helps you:
- Get more replies from clients
- Build trust quickly
- Stand out from other freelancers
- Win projects even as a beginner
How to Submit Proposal in Upwork Step by Step
1. Create a Strong Upwork Profile
Before sending proposals, make sure your profile looks professional.
Your profile should include:
- Professional profile photo
- Clear title
- Simple description of your skills
- Portfolio samples
- Relevant experience
Example title:
SEO Content Writer | Blog Writer | Copywriter
2. Search for the Right Jobs
Go to the Jobs section on Upwork and search for projects related to your skills.
Apply only to jobs that:
- Match your expertise
- Have clear requirements
- Have verified payment methods
- Fit your experience level
Avoid sending proposals to every job randomly.
3. Open the Job Post Carefully
Read the complete job description before applying.
Pay attention to:
- Client requirements
- Budget
- Deadline
- Skills needed
- Special instructions
Many clients include hidden words like “Start your proposal with Hello” to test whether freelancers read carefully.
4. Click the “Apply Now” Button
When you find a suitable project:
- Open the job post
- Click Apply Now
- Write your proposal
- Add your rate
- Attach samples if needed
- Submit the proposal
That is how to submit proposal in Upwork.
Best Structure for an Upwork Proposal
Here is the ideal structure for writing an Upwork proposal.
| Proposal Section | What to Include |
|---|---|
| Greeting | Use client name if available |
| Opening Line | Mention client problem |
| Introduction | Explain your skills briefly |
| Solution | Tell how you will help |
| Portfolio | Share related work |
| Call to Action | Ask for interview or discussion |
You May Also Like: Get free Connects on Upwork
You May Also Like: How to Delete Upwork Account
You May Also Like: How to Verify Upwork Account
How to Write a Winning Upwork Proposal
Start With a Strong First Line
The first two lines are very important because clients see them in preview mode.
Bad Example:
“Hello sir, I am interested in your project.”
Good Example:
“I can help improve your website SEO and increase organic traffic using keyword-focused content.”
The second example directly addresses the client’s need.
Keep Your Proposal Short
Clients do not want long essays.
Your proposal should usually be:
- Clear
- Direct
- Easy to read
- Focused on client needs
Try to keep it between 100–200 words.
Focus on the Client’s Problem
Do not talk only about yourself.
Instead of saying:
“I have 5 years of experience.”
Say:
“I can help you write SEO articles that rank better in search engines.”
Clients care more about solutions than experience alone.
Add Relevant Samples
Always attach related work samples if possible.
For example:
- Blog articles
- Graphic designs
- Websites
- Videos
- SEO reports
Relevant samples increase trust.
You May Also Like: Cover Letter in Upwork
You May Also Like: How to Earn from YouTube
Upwork Job Proposal Sample
Here is a simple Upwork job proposal sample for beginners.
Example of Upwork Proposal for Content Writing
Hello,
I read your job posting carefully and I can help you write SEO-friendly blog articles that are easy to read and optimized for search engines.
I have experience writing articles on online earning, freelancing, and digital marketing. I understand keyword placement, headings, readability, and SEO formatting.
I can deliver:
- Original content
- Proper grammar
- SEO optimization
- Fast delivery
I can also share writing samples related to your niche.
Looking forward to discussing your project.
Thank you.
Example of Upwork Proposal for Graphic Design
Hello,
I can design modern and professional social media posts for your business. I understand clean layouts, branding, and attractive visuals that help increase engagement.
You will receive:
- High-quality designs
- Fast communication
- Unlimited revisions
- Source files
I would love to discuss your design needs further.
Thank you.
Upwork Proposal Tips for Beginners
Customize Every Proposal
Do not copy and paste the same proposal everywhere.
Clients can easily recognize generic proposals.
Mention:
- Client requirements
- Project details
- Specific solutions
Use Simple English
Many successful freelancers use simple and clear English.
Avoid:
- Difficult vocabulary
- Long paragraphs
- Unnecessary details
Simple communication works better.
Apply Quickly
Clients often hire freelancers early.
Try to apply within the first few hours after the job is posted.
Do Not Underprice Too Much
Many beginners charge extremely low prices.
Low prices can sometimes make clients think your work quality is poor.
Choose reasonable rates according to your skills.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Upwork Proposals
Writing Very Long Proposals
Clients do not have time to read huge messages.
Keep your proposal concise.
Using Copy-Paste Templates
Generic templates reduce reply rates.
Always personalize your proposal.
Ignoring Client Instructions
If the client asks specific questions, answer all of them.
Missing instructions can lead to rejection.
Making Grammar Mistakes
Poor grammar creates a bad impression.
Always proofread before submitting.
Best Upwork Proposal Template
You can use this simple template for many jobs.
Hi,
I read your project details carefully and I understand what you need.
I can help you with [mention client problem]. I have experience in [your skill] and I have completed similar projects before.
You will receive:
- Quality work
- Fast delivery
- Good communication
- Attention to detail
I can also share relevant samples.
I would love to discuss the project further.
Thank you.
How Many Proposals Should You Send on Upwork?
Quality matters more than quantity.
Instead of sending 50 poor proposals, send:
- 5 to 10 customized proposals daily
This usually gives better results.
Can Beginners Win Jobs on Upwork?
Yes. Many beginners get jobs on Upwork every day.
To improve your chances:
- Complete your profile
- Write customized proposals
- Apply consistently
- Use strong samples
- Communicate professionally
Your first project is usually the hardest. After getting reviews, winning jobs becomes easier.
Final Thoughts
Learning how to submit proposal in Upwork is one of the most important skills for freelancers. A strong Upwork proposal can help you get interviews, clients, and long-term work opportunities.
Focus on:
- Understanding client needs
- Writing short and clear proposals
- Showing relevant skills
- Personalizing every application
With consistent effort and smart proposal writing, you can successfully grow your freelance career on Upwork.
FAQs
Can I submit a proposal on Upwork without connects?
No, in most cases you need Connects to submit a proposal on Upwork. Each job application usually costs a certain number of Connects depending on the project. However, some clients may invite you to apply, and invited proposals normally do not require Connects.
What is the first line of the Upwork proposal?
The first line of an Upwork proposal is the opening sentence clients see before opening your full application. It should quickly explain how you can solve the client’s problem. A strong first line helps grab attention and increases your chances of getting a reply.
Example:
“I can help write SEO-friendly blog posts that improve your website traffic.”
What do proposals 20 to 50 mean in Upwork?
“20 to 50 proposals” on Upwork means that between 20 and 50 freelancers have already applied for that job. It helps freelancers understand the level of competition before submitting a proposal.

